The Victorian Renewable Hydrogen Industry Development Plan (the Plan), launched on 26 February 2021, provides the blueprint for growing Victoria's renewable hydrogen economy. Development of a renewable hydrogen industry will support Victoria’s climate change ambitions and its net-zero emissions target by 2050. Decarbonisation and economic recovery can be accelerated and promoted across Victoria by supporting the establishment of a thriving renewable hydrogen industry.
The Victorian Government is providing $6.2 million of grant funding for capital works projects that support the building of hydrogen pilots, trials, and demonstrations under the Renewable Hydrogen Commercialisation Pathways Fund (the Fund). The Fund will support projects which contribute to the production of renewable hydrogen or align to Focus Area 2, “Connecting the Economy”, of the Plan.
The Fund is an initiative under the Accelerating Victoria’s Hydrogen Industry program (AVHI). AVHI focuses on the development and deployment of zero-emissions renewable hydrogen technologies in Victoria.
All projects funded under the Fund must demonstrate that only renewable energy sources have been used to generate the energy required for hydrogen production.
The objectives of the Fund are to:
- Kick-start investment in Victoria’s renewable hydrogen sector
- Unlock co-investment and partnership opportunities for project proponents, creating new jobs and economic growth for Victoria
- Provide an evidence base for decarbonisation through renewable hydrogen and enable demonstration projects to lead the way to commercialisation
- Build the profile of hydrogen in Victoria and create a streamlined process for industry-government interactions and knowledge sharing.
Applications must demonstrate that the proposed project contributes to the production of renewable hydrogen or targets one or more of the following Plan outcomes (pages 39-48 of the Plan)
- Gas networks have a pathway to renewable hydrogen
- Renewable hydrogen enables the export of renewable energy
- Victoria has advanced the integration of renewable hydrogen with the transport sector
- Hydrogen is playing a clear role in supporting a secure, reliable and resilient electricity system
- The industrial sector is primed for renewable hydrogen
- The hydrogen supply chain capitalises on Victoria’s advanced manufacturing capabilities.
$6.2 million is available in grants funding under this Fund.
Applicants seeking a funding amount of up to $2.5 million will be considered more favourably.
How to apply
Applications for the Renewable Hydrogen Commercialisation Pathways Fund have now closed.