The Victorian Renewable Hydrogen Industry Development Plan (the Plan), launched on 26 February 2021, provides the blueprint for growing a renewable hydrogen economy over the next five years. Development of a renewable hydrogen industry will support Victoria’s climate change ambitions and its net-zero emissions target by 2050. Decarbonisation and economic recovery can be accelerated and promoted across Victoria by supporting the establishment of a thriving renewable hydrogen industry.
The Victorian Government is providing $6.2 million of grant funding for capital works projects that support the building of hydrogen pilots, trials, and demonstrations under the Renewable Hydrogen Commercialisation Pathways Fund (the Fund). The Fund will support projects which contribute to the production of renewable hydrogen or align to Focus Area 2, “Connecting the Economy”, of the Plan.
The Fund is an initiative under the Accelerating Victoria’s Hydrogen Industry program (AVHI). AVHI focuses on the development and deployment of zero-emissions renewable hydrogen technologies in Victoria.
All projects funded under the Fund must demonstrate that only renewable energy sources have been used to generate the energy required for hydrogen production.
The objectives of the Fund are to:
- Kick-start investment in Victoria’s renewable hydrogen sector;
- Unlock co-investment and partnership opportunities for project proponents, creating new jobs and economic growth for Victoria;
- Provide an evidence base for decarbonisation through renewable hydrogen and enable demonstration projects to lead the way to commercialisation; and
- Build the profile of hydrogen in Victoria and create a streamlined process for industry-government interactions and knowledge sharing.
Applications must demonstrate that the proposed project contributes to the production of renewable hydrogen or targets one or more of the following Plan outcomes (pages 39-48 of the Plan):
- Gas networks have a pathway to renewable hydrogen;
- Renewable hydrogen enables the export of renewable energy;
- Victoria has advanced the integration of renewable hydrogen with the transport sector;
- Hydrogen is playing a clear role in supporting a secure, reliable and resilient electricity system;
- The industrial sector is primed for renewable hydrogen; and
- The hydrogen supply chain capitalises on Victoria’s advanced manufacturing capabilities.
$6.2 million is available in grants funding under this Fund.
Applicants seeking a funding amount of up to $2.5 million will be considered more favourably.
How to apply
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 27 August 2021 and must be submitted through Grants Online using the links below.
If you require assistance submitting your online application or there is a technical issue with Grants Online, please email email@example.com or call the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning general enquiries number on 136 186.
If you have any queries regarding eligibility or the terms of the grant funding, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional forms – these are mandatory and must be submitted with your application
It is recommended that applicants review the terms and conditions before applying. These do not need to be submitted at the time of application.
For local government, not-for-profit or community organisations, please use this Victorian Common Funding Agreement.
For commercial entities, please use this Commercial Funding Agreement (DOCX, 293.0 KB).
Online Information Session
An online information session for interested applicants will be held at 3 pm, Thursday 29 July 2021 via Microsoft Teams. If you would like to attend, please register via Eventbrite – a virtual meeting link will be provided soon after registration.