On this page:
Renewable hydrogen is produced when the energy generated from renewable sources such as the sun, wind, tides or waves powers an electrolyser to convert water into hydrogen gas.
It is an odourless, colourless and lightweight zero-carbon gas. It can then be stored, transported – and used when needed.
Renewable hydrogen offers the potential as a clean, safe and reliable fuel source. Hydrogen production is becoming not only cleaner but cheaper. It could sustainably power Victoria's transport, agriculture and manufacturing sectors. While creating jobs across our state.
What is renewable hydrogen?
Watch this video for a quick introduction on renewable hydrogen.
The many uses of renewable hydrogen
Renewable hydrogen offers enormous potential as a perfectly clean, safe and reliable alternative to emission-intensive fuels. Let’s look at its potential use in sectors such as transport, agriculture and manufacturing during this video.
Renewable hydrogen – why Victoria?
Victoria is building the foundations for a thriving renewable hydrogen economy – ensuring our state can capture the benefits of this emerging clean energy source.
Support for renewable hydrogen
The Renewable Hydrogen Industry Development Plan
We are building the foundations for a thriving renewable hydrogen economy. This will ensure our state can capture the benefits of this emerging clean energy source.
Working in partnership with businesses, the higher education sector and the community. Developing this sector can potentially drive a range of economic, social and environmental benefits.
The development plan outlines the steps we will take to develop the sector, focusing on:
- creating long-term jobs through new career pathways and skills clusters
- enabling the export of renewable energy
- driving innovation
- building our skills and capacity in renewable hydrogen
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions across our industrial, energy and transport sectors.
The plan followed consultation with a range of stakeholders.
Renewable hydrogen grants
We are supporting the emerging hydrogen economy through a range of grant programs.
- Renewable Hydrogen Business Ready Fund (closed). It supports business cases or feasibility studies.
- Renewable Hydrogen Commercialisation Pathways Fund (closed). It supports pilot programs, trials and demonstrations.
- Hume Hydrogen Highway. It will support the development of at least 4 refuelling stations along the Hume Highway. It will also support approximately 25 hydrogen-powered long-haul heavy freight vehicles to adopt zero-emission technology, such as fuel cells.
Victorian hydrogen technology clusters network
Victoria's network of 4 hydrogen clusters is one of the largest state-based cluster networks in Australia.
These clusters bring businesses, universities, innovators, local and state government agencies, and communities together to support and develop renewable hydrogen projects. Members:
- collaborate on critical research
- deliver pilot projects
- work together to build supply chains.
Victorian clusters work with clusters in other states through National Energy Resources Australia’s industry-led Hydrogen Technology Cluster Australia.
Page last updated: 12/10/22