The Victorian Renewable Hydrogen Industry Development Plan (the Plan), launched on 26 February 2021, provides the blueprint for growing a renewable hydrogen economy over the next 5 years. The development of a renewable hydrogen industry will support Victoria’s climate change ambitions and its net-zero emissions target by 2050. Decarbonisation and economic recovery can be accelerated and promoted across Victoria by supporting the establishment of a thriving renewable hydrogen industry.
The Renewable Hydrogen Business Ready Fund provides $1.0 million to assist businesses to transition to renewable hydrogen. Businesses can apply for up to $150,000 in matched funding for a business case or feasibility study project. The Victorian Government encourages applications from a wide range of industries including but not limited to agriculture, manufacturing, commercial users, water corporations and gas producers and distributors.
The Fund focuses on the development and deployment of zero-emissions renewable hydrogen technologies in Victoria.
The objectives of the Fund are to:
- Enable businesses to identify pathways to transition towards renewable hydrogen
- Target users of natural gas, hydrogen and energy-intensive processes to maximise emissions reduction
- Increase confidence in transitioning to renewable hydrogen across the sector
- Build the profile of renewable hydrogen in Victoria and create a streamlined process for industry-government interactions and knowledge sharing.
As part of their business cases or feasibility study projects, a business could consider the following:
- Changes required in your business to use renewable hydrogen
- Sources of renewable hydrogen and timeframe for transition
- Potential scalability and replicability across a sector or multiple locations
- Risk evaluation
- The proportion of total energy consumption that could be replaced by renewable hydrogen.
Business cases or feasibility study projects must be in Victoria and completed by 20 May 2022. Full eligibility criteria are set out in the Application Guidelines below.
How to apply
Applications closed at 5pm on Friday 27 August 2021. Successful applications will be notified in November 2021.
FAQs (DOCX, 293.7 KB) - Updated 4 August 2021 (additional FAQs added)