On this page:
On this page:
- Implementing the Government's response to the Grimes Review
- Implementation progress update
- The Grimes Review
The Independent Review of Victoria’s Electricity and Gas Network Safety Framework (Grimes Review) made 43 recommendations representing a significant reform agenda. They focused on strengthening the capabilities and regulatory approach of Victoria’s energy safety regulator, Energy Safe Victoria.
On 1 August 2018, the Victorian Government publicly released the review’s final report and the Government Response to it.
Implementing the Government's Response to the Grimes Review
The Government Response supported 42 of the 43 recommendations, either in full or in principle:
- support in full for 21 recommendations, which the Victorian Government is already taking steps to progress
- support in principle for 21 recommendations, which will undergo further consultation and analysis to inform how they are best implemented
- the Victorian Government did not support one recommendation for the Chair of the recommended Energy Safe Victoria Commission to also serve as the Chief Executive.
The Victorian Government is implementing the supported recommendations.
Implementation progress update
Critical reforms are underway to transform Energy Safe Victoria into a modern, fit-for-purpose regulator capable of effective, best practice regulation to improve the safety outcomes for Victorians.
Memorandum of understanding
To acquit recommendation 17 of the Grimes Review, the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action has entered into a memorandum of understanding with Energy Safe Victoria.
The memorandum articulates principles of engagement between the organisations and clarifies each organisation's roles.
Energy Legislation Amendment (Energy Safety) Bill 2023
To acquit recommendations 12, 13, 35, and 36 of the Grimes Review, the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action has developed the Energy Legislation Amendment (Energy Safety) Bill 2023. The Bill was introduced to the Legislative Assembly on 16 May 2023.
Read the Energy Legislation Amendment (Energy Safety) Bill 2023 and keep updated on its progress.
The Grimes Review
The Grimes Review was conducted in 2017 and examined the design and adequacy of the safety regulatory obligations, incentives and other arrangements governing the safety of the electricity and gas networks.
The Review found that while Victoria has many of the key elements of a leading regulatory system, it also identified areas for improvement, making 43 recommendations focused on:
- strengthening the governance of Energy Safe Victoria
- broadening Energy Safe Victoria’s capabilities and preparedness to take strong regulatory action
- consolidating energy safety legislation to create a single energy safety law.
Page last updated: 17/08/23