The Powerline Replacement Fund (PRF) will see powerlines in the highest risk bushfire areas replaced with insulated overhead, underground powerlines or new conductor technologies.
Funding for the $200 million PRF is being directed in stages to priority areas identified in conjunction with the Fire Services Commissioner, Energy Safe Victoria, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) and technical experts.
The Fund is directed at replacing both High Voltage (HV) and Private Overhead Electric Lines (POELs) in highest priority Local Government Areas (LGAs). The POEL funding is allocated to the following Local Government Areas:
|Baw Baw||Indigo||Surf Coast|
|Campaspe||Macedon Ranges||Southern Grampians|
|Golden Plains||Moira||Yarra Ranges|
Last Stage Now Open
The Private Overhead Electric Line (POEL) scheme is now in its final stage and will be closing the PRF project. Applications for funding will strictly close on 29 February 2018, after which the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) will not be accepting any new applications.
Further milestone dates include:
- 30 April 2018 - Final day to receive fully compliant quotes. DELWP cannot guarantee completion of the application assessment process if this date is not met.
- 20 December 2018 - Final day to complete works and redeem funding voucher. DEWLP cannot guarantee payment if the funding voucher expiry date is not met. This includes all works consisting of the cut-over, truck appointment and retirement of overhead poles and cabling. As truck appointments can take up to two months, it is strongly advised that electricians awarded works complete the trenching, laying of cable and booking of the AusNet Services or Powercor truck appointment no later than April 2018.
Important information for applicants
- Application guidelines and terms of participation (DOCX, 476.6 KB)
- General terms of grant for POEL owners (DOCX, 432.1 KB)
- POEL owner application form (DOCX, 464.1 KB)
- Step by step instructions for POEL owners (DOCX, 437.9 KB)
- Background information for POEL owners (DOCX, 461.0 KB)
View the list of Registered Electrical Contractors (Excel, 138.0 KB) who are participating in the Powerline Replacement Fund.
Important information for Registered Electrical Contractors
- Supplier application form (DOCX, 468.0 KB)
- Quote template for RECs (DOCX, 447.8 KB)
- Background information for RECs (DOCX, 457.3 KB)
- Step by step guide for RECs (DOCX, 457.7 KB)
- Assessment methodology (DOCX, 458.4 KB)
Powerline Replacement at Grassmere
Watch this timelapse video showing the replacement of bare-wire powerlines in Grassmere, Victoria as one of the many replacement projects to safeguard regional communities against powerlines starting bushfires.
Private Overhead Electrical Line
See the complex works in action, replacing a private overhead electrical line in Seymour, Victoria including the removal of volcanic rock, crossing a riverbed and observing a heritage building.
High Voltage Line - working to make communities safer
Experience the replacement of high voltages powerlines in the Victorian Otway Ranges with aerial views showing what works look like from all angles.