On this page:
A fridge or freezer is a major purchase. However, you can save a lot of money and energy over many years by choosing the most efficient appliance.
To be eligible to upgrade your fridge or freezer and get a discount, you must:
- be a Victorian business
- install a product listed on the Greenhouse and Energy minimum standards register and meets certain minimum star ratings (depending on the upgrade product).
Your participation is voluntary.
Key steps when organising an energy-efficient fridge or freezer
To get a discount on the installation of a fridge or freezer you must:
- install a product listed on the Greenhouse and Energy minimum standards register, which meets certain minimum star ratings (depending on the upgrade product)
Hint: research these products for their suitability and quality. There are a lot of products approved for installation as part of VEU. Not all products are of the same quality or suitable for every environment.
- work with an accredited provider
Hint: get quotes from several providers. Accredited providers offer different types of products, services, expertise, and costs. Make sure to get a quote from several accredited providers on the final installed price of the appliance, which includes the discount.
Working with accredited providers
An accredited provider is:
- any business that is approved to deliver or facilitate installations in the VEU program
- responsible for helping you get a discount on an installed appliance through the VEU program.
When doing an installation through the VEU program, accredited providers can either:
- use their own tradesperson, or
- work with a tradesperson of your choice.
Accredited providers will be able to explain:
- the steps to take part in the program
- what sort of products can you install to get a discount
- the necessary qualifications of the tradesperson who installs the fridge or freezer.
Remember: you must work with an accredited provider to get a discount on an installed appliance through the VEU program.
How to check if a person or business is an accredited provider
Go to the Essential Services Commission’s Registry of Accredited Persons:
- select the ‘Business Name’ drop-down menu
- scroll until you see the accredited provider you are searching for.
Note: accredited providers often work with installers who are not listed on the registry.
How much discount you can expect
Incentives of up to the following amounts are available for the average business:
|To be purchased
|High-efficiency fridge or freezer
|$70 per fridge or freezer
*This figure is based on a certificate price of $70.
The final installed price of the appliance, which includes the discount, is up to the accredited provider and will depend on several factors, including:
- certificate price (which fluctuates)
- installation costs
- the accredited provider’s administrative costs.
For more information on the certificate price under the VEU program, please see Victorian Energy Efficiency Certificates (VEECs).
Find an accredited provider in your area
Can’t find an accredited provider in your area?
Please note that as VEU is a market-based program:
- not all accredited providers listed below will necessarily be offering energy-efficient fridges or freezers at present
- accredited providers can choose when and where they undertake upgrades.
Page last updated: 14/02/24