The benchmark rating activity is an activity that measures the energy performance of a building compared with other buildings of a similar size and usage.
This activity is one of the program’s custom upgrade opportunities. It uses the NABERS rating certification, which provides a way of measuring the energy performance of a variety of different buildings.
Businesses can claim discounts or rebates based on energy savings measured before and after benchmark rating.
The rebates are available for upgrades at the following types of buildings:
- common areas of apartment buildings
- data centres
- shopping centres.
Most other activities used for calculating incentives for a given upgrade are estimated on average values for all activities across Victoria. However, some situations need a more customised approach, and that's where the benchmark rating could be a good approach.
Talk to an accredited provider to determine whether the benchmark rating activity suits your project. You can work with an existing accredited provider or become accredited to access rebates. In either case, it is important to talk to an accredited provider before your upgrade has been carried out.
To check if a person or business is an accredited provider, go to the Essential Services Commission’s VEU Registry of Accredited Persons and:
- select the 'Business Name' drop-down menu
- scroll until you see the accredited provider you are searching for.
Tips when organising an upgrade
- Shop around. As with any market, it's worth shopping around and finding the right fit for your needs.
- Ensure the product's suitability. To get a rebate, you must install an approved product.
- Search the Essential Services Commission register of products for approved products.
- Accredited providers operate freely like any other businesses and can choose what upgrades they deliver, with some keeping waiting lists for activities and may contact you if circumstances change. The amount of the rebate provided to you may vary.
Remember to do your research on products. Not all products are of the same quality or suitability for all working environments.
Page last updated: 28/08/23