On this page:
Clothes dryers are a major contributor to energy use. Using a clothesline or drying rack is the best way to reduce energy costs, although sometimes it's hard to avoid turning on the dryer, particularly in winter.
Investing in an energy-efficient electric clothes dryer is a great way to reduce energy use.
To be eligible to upgrade your clothes dryer and get a discount, you must:
- be a Victorian household or business
- install a product with a star rating of 7 stars and is listed on the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards register.
Your participation is voluntary.
Living in a rental property?
If you’re living in a private rental property, you are eligible to receive a discount on one energy-efficient clothes dryer. We recommend that landlords and tenants work together when doing any upgrades to a rental property.
Key steps when organising a clothes dryer installation
To get a discount on the installation of a clothes dryer you must:
- install a product with a star rating of 7 stars that is listed on the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards register
Hint: research these products for their suitability and quality. There are a lot of products approved for installation as part of Victorian Energy Upgrades (VEU). Not all products are of the same quality or suitable for every environment.
- work with an accredited provider
Hint: Get quotes from several providers. Accredited providers offer different types of products, services, expertise, and costs. Make sure to get a quote from several accredited providers on the final installed price of the appliance, which includes the discount.
Working with accredited providers
An accredited provider is:
- any business that is approved to deliver or facilitate installations in the VEU program
- responsible for helping you get a discount on an installed appliance through the VEU program.
When doing an installation through the VEU program, accredited providers can either:
- use their own tradesperson, or
- work with a tradesperson of your choice.
Accredited providers will be able to explain:
- the steps to take part in the program
- what sort of products you can install to get a discount
- the necessary qualifications of the tradesperson who installs the energy-efficient clothes dryer.
Remember: you must work with an accredited provider to get a discount on an installed appliance through the VEU program.
How to check if a person or business is accredited under the VEU program
The Essential Services Commission’s VEU Registry of Accredited Persons:
- select the 'Business Name' drop-down menu
- scroll until you see the accredited provider you are searching for.
Note: accredited providers often work with installers who are not listed on the registry.
How much discount you can expect
Incentives of up to the following amounts are available for the average household:
|To be purchased
|High-efficiency clothes dryer
|$70 per dryer
*Discount/rebate will vary. This figure is based on a certificate price of $70.
The final installed price of the appliance, which includes the discount, is up to the accredited provider and will depend on several factors, including:
- certificate price (which fluctuates)
- installation costs
- the accredited provider’s administrative costs.
For more information on the certificate price under the VEU program, please see Victorian Energy Efficiency Certificates (VEECs).
Find an accredited provider in your area
Can't find an accredited provider in your area?
Please note that as VEU is a market-based program:
- not all accredited providers listed above will necessarily be offering clothes dryers at present
- accredited providers can choose when and where they undertake upgrades.
Page last updated: 15/02/24