On this page:
Double-glazed windows are very energy efficient. They help reduce heat loss or heat gain by almost 30% compared to single-glazed windows.
To be eligible to upgrade your windows and get a discount/rebate you must:
- be a Victorian household or business
- have single glazed windows.
Your participation is voluntary.
How to organise your double-glazed window upgrade
To get a discount/rebate on a glazing upgrade you must engage an accredited provider. Accredited providers can:
- use their own tradesperson (if they have any available) to install the glazing, or
- work with a tradesperson of your choice to install the glazing.
Note: the accredited provider is responsible for helping you obtain a discount/rebate for the upgrade. They will be able to explain:
- the steps to participate
- what sort of products you can install to get a discount/rebate
- the necessary qualifications of the tradesperson who installs the double-glazed windows.
To check if a person or business is an accredited provider, go to the Essential Services Commission’s VEU Registry of Accredited Persons and:
- select the 'Business Name' drop-down menu
- scroll until you see the accredited provider you are searching for.
Tips when organising a double-glazed window upgrade
- Shop around. As with any market, it’s worth shopping around and finding the right fit for your needs. Further information about home window glazing is available from Sustainability Victoria.
- Ensure the product's suitability. To get a rebate, you must install an approved product. Search the Essential Services Commission register of products for approved products.
- Accredited providers operate freely like any other businesses and can choose what upgrades they deliver, with some keeping waiting lists for activities and may contact you if circumstances change.
Remember to do your research on products. Not all products are of the same quality or suitability for all working environments.
What discounts are available?
The VEU program provides discounts for the following:
- replacing single glazed windows with double glazed windows
- installing a product to existing windows to improve thermal efficiency.
*Discount/rebate will vary.
The final price will depend on several factors including:
- certificate price
- type of equipment and efficiency
- the number of products replaced
- installation costs
- administrative costs by accredited providers.
Find an accredited provider in your area
Page last updated: 07/09/22