On this page:
Showers use the most amount of hot water in a typical Victorian home.
By changing your conventional shower head for a water-saving one, you can make a real difference in your water use and reduce energy costs.
To be eligible to upgrade your water-saving shower heads and get a discount or rebate, you must:
- be a Victorian household or business
- have up to 2 inefficient showerheads with a flow rate above 9 litres per minute or below 3 stars (in residential premises).
Your participation is voluntary.
How to organise a water-saving shower head upgrade
To organise a water-saving shower head upgrade, you must work with an accredited provider. Accredited providers deliver or facilitate upgrades under the VEU program.
To check if a person or business is an accredited provider, go to the Essential Services Commission’s VEU Registry of Accredited Persons and:
- select the 'Business Name' drop-down menu
- scroll until you see the accredited provider you are searching for.
Tips when organising a water-saving shower head upgrade
- If you don't know the flow rate of your current shower head, firstly, you could check whether the shower head has a watermark indicating that the shower head is below 3 stars. If it does not have a watermark, you can check either by:
- working out how old your shower head is. Shower heads that are over 10 years old are likely to be more inefficient
- measuring how many litres your showerhead uses by undertaking a bucket test. Do this by putting a bucket under the shower head, turning on the tap at your normal temperature and flow for 15 seconds, multiplying the amount by 4 and working out how many litres are used per minute. If it is over 9 litres, then you are eligible.
- Shop around. As with any market, it’s worth shopping around and finding the right fit for your needs.
- Ensure the product's suitability. To get a rebate, you must install an approved product. Search the Essential Services Commission register of products for approved products.
- Accredited providers operate freely like any other businesses and can choose what upgrades they deliver, with some keeping waiting lists for activities and may contact you if circumstances change.
Remember to do your research on products. Not all products are of the same quality or suitability for all working environments.
How much rebate can you expect?
|To be installed||Indicative rebate*|
*Discount or rebate will vary. This figure is based on a certificate price of $60.
The final price will depend on several factors, including:
- certificate price
- type of equipment and efficiency
- installation costs
- administrative costs by accredited providers.
Find an accredited provider in your area
Page last updated: 07/09/22