On this page:
A fridge or freezer is a major purchase. However, you can save a lot of money and energy over many years by choosing the most efficient appliance.
To be eligible to upgrade your fridge or freezer and get a discount/rebate, you must:
- be a Victorian household
- install a product listed on the Greenhouse and Energy minimum standards register and meets certain minimum star ratings (depending on the upgrade product).
Your participation is voluntary.
How to organise an energy-efficient fridge or freezer
To organise an energy-efficient fridge or freezer, you must work with an accredited provider. Accredited providers deliver or facilitate upgrades under the program.
To check if a person or business is an accredited provider, go to the Essential Services Commission’s VEU Registry of Accredited Persons and:
- select the 'Business Name' drop-down menu
- scroll until you see the accredited provider you are searching for.
Tips when organising an upgrade
- Shop around. As with any market, it's worth shopping around and finding the right fit for your needs.
- Ensure the product's suitability. To get a rebate, you must install an approved product. Search the Essential Services Commission register of products for approved products.
- Accredited providers operate freely like any other businesses and can choose what upgrades they deliver, with some keeping waiting lists for activities and may contact you if circumstances change.
Remember to do your research on products. Not all products are of the same quality or suitability for all working environments.
How much rebate can you expect?
|To be purchased||Indicative rebate*|
|High-efficiency fridge or freezer||$60 per fridge or freezer|
*Discount or rebate will vary. This figure is based on a certificate price of $60, and the average efficiency of products improved under the program.
The final price will depend on several factors, including:
- certificate price
- type of fridge or freezer
- installation cost
- administrative costs by an accredited provider.
Find an accredited provider in your area
Page last updated: 08/09/22