The Electrical Work Request (EWR) will be filled out by your Registered Electrical Contractor to notify your retailer and distributor that electrical work has or will occur at your property, and that your distributor is required to complete this work and/or change your metering.

Once the electrical wiring is completed, the Registered Electrical Contractor, who may be the same person who installs your solar panels, will also organise for a prescribed Certificate of Electrical Safety (CES) (see below). The CES can be left on site, and if this occurs it is noted on the EWR.

Who fills out the form?

The EWR form will be filled out by your Registered Electrical Contractor who will wire the solar panels and inverter to your switchboard. This may or may not be the same person who installed the panels on your roof.

Where does the form go?

The EWR form needs to be provided to your electricity retailer. Ideally, your solar retailer or installer will send this form to your electricity retailer on your behalf. Always confirm with them that this is the case and ask for a copy of the EWR for your own records.

Your electricity retailer will then organise for the form to be sent to your electricity distributor.

What happens next?

The EWR is a prerequisite for the activation of bidirectional import/export metering and for receiving a feed-in tariff, but distributors will be unable to initiate this work unless they have also received a copy of the Solar Connection Form and the Certificate of Electrical Safety (CES).

Once your electricity retailer has sent a service order request (including the EWR and CES) and these are matched with the Solar Connection Form, the setup of appropriate metering and processing of feed-in tariff applications will be able to progress.

Page last updated: 09/06/17