Are solar feed-in tariff rates the same across all electricity retailers?

All electricity retailers with more than 5,000 customers must offer eligible customers a minimum credit per kilowatt hour for any excess electricity exported to the state grid.

The Premium Feed-in Tariff scheme had a guaranteed minimum of 60 cents. For the minimum feed-in tariff, you can review the rates here.

Some retailers may offer over and above this amount, so it is important to shop around and to understand all of the details of a solar feed-in tariff contract.

Read more information to help compare offers from different retailers.

How do I access credits under a feed-in tariff scheme?

You will need to establish a feed-in tariff contract with an electricity retail company of your choice. Shop around for the deal that best suits you as different electricity retail feed-in tariff contracts may contain slightly varying terms and conditions. Read more about what's on offer through the Victorian Energy Compare website.

What rate does my electricity retail company offer as part of the premium feed-in tariff?

Please check with your electricity retailer to confirm if they pay over and above the minimum credit of $0.60 per kilowatt hour.

Compare some of the key features of the terms and conditions and offers from all Victorian energy retailers.

I have heard that retailers can extinguish any excess credits I have not used after 12 months. Is this true?

Yes, however it will not affect the majority of customers as any excess credits will generally be used over the 12 month period.

Under the legislation retailers can extinguish excess credits that have accrued and are now older than 12 months. But, not all retailers are taking this approach and some also provide you with the option of a direct payment, rather than ongoing bill credits.

Read more about what's on offer from different electricity retailers.

Is my solar feed-in tariff credit indexed?

No, a solar feed-in tariff credit is not indexed.

A minimum of 60 cents per kilowatt hour for excess electricity fed back into the grid has been set for the 15 year lifetime of the Premium Feed-in Tariff scheme.

Why does the scheme have contracts and terms and conditions?

The contract and its terms and conditions are only there to protect you - the consumer. It sets out the obligations of all parties involved and makes sure that all information is available so you can compare offers and negotiate better contract arrangements with your electricity retailer.

Before you can start being credited for solar power you must sign a contract with your electricity retailer.

The contracts are generally based on conditions contained in the Energy Retail Code and provide you with a number of protections, including:

  • your rights to terminate the contract
  • your rights in asking for your bill to be reviewed
  • how any issues with crediting amounts shown on bills will be handled
  • how credits will be applied to your bill

You should always read through and familiarise yourself with your electricity retailer's terms and conditions before signing. If you don't understand the document, ask your retailer for more help and advice.

I am a Centrelink or Veteran's Affairs customer – will the feed-in tariff payment I receive be counted as income and reduce or disqualify my payments?

Please visit the Centrelink website

Can I change the way I receive my feed-in tariff so that my Centrelink payments are not reduced?

You will need to contact your electricity retailer – the company that sends your power bill – and ask them if you can do this under your individual electricity contract arrangements.

As a Centrelink customer, If I switch electricity retailer and I'm going to receive excess credits do I have to report this to Centrelink?

Please visit the Centrelink website

Page last updated: 03/04/20