Implementing the Government Response to the Grimes Review
The Government Response to the Grimes Review, released in August 2018, supported 42 of the 43 recommendations either in full or in principle. The Government Response can be found here (PDF, 157.0 KB).
The Victorian Government is implementing the supported recommendations.
Implementation Progress Update
Critical reforms are underway to transform Energy Safe Victoria, into a modern, fit for purpose regulator, capable of effective, best practice regulation to improve the safety outcomes for Victorians.
The first progress update on the implementation of the Government Response can be found here:
Memorandum of Understanding
To acquit recommendation 17 of the Grimes Review, the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning has entered into a memorandum of understanding with Energy Safe Victoria.
The memorandum articulates principles of engagement between the organisations and provides clarity on the roles of each organisation.
The Grimes Review was conducted in 2017 and examined the design and adequacy of the safety regulatory obligations, incentives and other arrangements governing the safety of the electricity and gas networks.
The Review found that while Victoria has many of the key elements of a leading regulatory system, it also identified areas for improvement, making 43 recommendations chiefly focused on:
- strengthening the governance of Energy Safe Victoria
- broadening Energy Safe Victoria’s capabilities and preparedness to take strong regulatory action
- consolidating energy safety legislation to create a single energy safety law.
On 1 August 2018, the Victorian Government publicly released the review’s final report and the government’s response to it. The Government Response supported 42 of the 43 recommendations, either in full or in principle:
- support in full for 21 recommendations, which the Victorian Government is already taking steps to progress
- support in principle for 21 recommendations, which will undergo further consultation and analysis to inform how they are best implemented
- the Victorian Government did not support one recommendation for the Chair of the recommended Energy Safe Victoria Commission to also serve as the chief executive.
More information on the Review, including a copy of the Review’s Final Report and the Government Response, can be found on the Engage Victoria - Electricity Network Safety Review web page.
Page last updated: 14/05/21