The Independent Review panel’s final report (PDF, 2.6 MB) was handed down to the Minister on Sunday 13 August 2017. The findings of the independent panel highlight that Victorian consumers are not gaining the benefits of a competitive retail market. The review has recommended a suite of reforms and initiatives, with 11 key recommendations to place the consumers back on a level playing field.
The Victorian Government is currently considering the panel’s final report. A Government response will be made public by November 2017 following further consultation with stakeholders.
The review commissioned the following reports as part of the investigation into the retail energy market.
Carbon Market Economics
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
Review of electricity and gas retail markets in Victoria
The independent review panel comprises John Thwaites, who served as Deputy Premier of Victoria from 1999 to 2007, Terry Mulder who served as Minister for Public Transport and Roads from 2010 to 2014, and Patricia Faulkner AO, former Secretary of the Victorian Department of Human Services and Director of Consumer Affairs.
The review panel has released a discussion paper on some of the key issues and questions concerning the operation of Victoria's electricity and gas retail markets. Submissions on the paper are sought by Tuesday 28 February 2017. Please email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions to the discussion paper are now closed.
See our frequently asked questions
A public submissions process was conducted from Wednesday 8 February until Tuesday 28 February 2017.
During this period, 24 formal submissions were received from the following:
- residential consumer and community groups;
- business consumers and associations;
- energy networks;
- energy market bodies and regulators;
- new energy services and energy experts; and
- energy retailers.
Submission have been provided to the panel for careful consideration and will help inform their recommendations in this review.
Thank you to everyone who took the time to make a submission.
The Panel for the Review of Electricity and Gas Retail Markets in Victoria invited stakeholders to attend a Stakeholder Forum on Wednesday 8 February 2017. Sixty nine stakeholders attended the forum and presented on the issues raised by the discussion paper which can be found here:
Stakeholders and the public were encouraged to make submissions for the panel to consider.
Submissions were made in three ways:
- Online submission
- Email submission
- Hardcopy submission
Below is the complete list of submissions received by the secretariat. Submitters have agreed that they are entitled to deal with the intellectual property rights (including copyright) of all material (including any third parties) in their comments and have obtained the necessary consent(s) from any and all third parties owning the copyright for such dealings.
- AGL (PDF, 2.8 MB), (DOCX, 191.5 KB)
- Alan Pears, Senior Industry Fellow, RMIT University (PDF, 1.0 MB), (DOCX, 91.3 KB)
- Alinta (PDF, 521.3 KB), (DOCX, 641.5 KB)
- Anne Kallies, RMIT University (DOCX, 21.2 KB)
- Alternative Technology Association (PDF, 258.8 KB), (DOCX, 159.7 KB)
- Australian Dairy Farmers (DOCX, 348.8 KB)
- Australian Energy Council (PDF, 655.0 KB), (DOCX, 377.5 KB)
- Australian Gas Networks (PDF, 206.2 KB)
- Brotherhood of St Laurence (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Community Information & Support Victoria (PDF, 346.0 KB), (DOCX, 66.8 KB)
- Consumer Action Law Centre (PDF, 316.2 KB), (DOCX, 82.2 KB)
- Consumer Policy Research Centre (PDF, 453.3 KB), (DOCX, 124.1 KB)
- Energy and Water Ombudsman (PDF, 1.2 MB), (DOCX, 339.0 KB)
- Energy Australia (PDF, 567.8 KB), (DOCX, 963.0 KB)
- Energy Consumers Australia (PDF, 936.1 KB), (DOCX, 2.7 MB)
- Environment Victoria (PDF, 472.6 KB)
- Jemena, Citipower, Ausnet, United Energy (PDF, 931.8 KB)
- Lumo (PDF, 255.6 KB), (DOCX, 2.6 MB)
- Momentum Energy (PDF, 349.3 KB)
- Origin (PDF, 362.8 KB), (DOCX, 144.0 KB)
- Powershop (PDF, 131.2 KB), (DOCX, 177.6 KB)
- Ron Ben-David (PDF, 2.4 MB)
- Queensland Consumers Association (DOCX, 48.3 KB)
- Victorian Council of Social Service (PDF, 927.7 KB), (DOCX, 3.5 MB)